Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Some History of Cuckoos Nest


The year was 1969 and I was teaching acting and directing at College of Marin. I had worked with Producer Sali Lieberman at Mill Valley Center for Performing Arts on various projects for this small community theater, when Sali brought me the Dale Wasserman script of Kesey's novel to read and possibly direct. I was wowed by the script and the challenges it presented in staging the play in the 50 year old Golf Clubhouse multi- purpose room.


The following pictures speak more than I can about the production. Pictures were taken during a performance by one of the audience, Barry Nicol.


We performed three weekends, I believe, to enthusiastic reviews which I will include here.


I was approached by Lee Sankowich, a San Francisco producer, to direct Cuckoos Nest in San Francisco. After much talk and searching for a venue, I was dropped and another director was retained, as were major leads from the Mill Valley production. Under Lee's able direction, it ran successfully for five plus years in the City.

No comments:

Post a Comment